Calgary Snow Removal and Salting
Winter can be a beautiful season with the addition of snow that makes any landscape appear like a winter wonderland, but it can also be dangerous with icy conditions on surface areas on your commercial and residential property. Although safety can be greatly diminished during this time of year, it is still essential to keep your pavement safe for pedestrians and vehicles during the winter months by way of Calgary snow removal. One of the best ways to do this is by salting your pavement. However, it is important to use the right amount of salt and to know when and how to salt your pavement.
Learn all the necessary information on salting your pavement for winter that will keep you prepared and safe.
Why Salting Your Pavement is Important
Salting your pavement is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps to melt the ice and snow on your pavement, making it safer for pedestrians and vehicles. This reduces the risk of accidents and injuries. Secondly, salting your pavement prevents the formation of ice, which can be difficult to remove once it forms. Thirdly, it helps to prevent the accumulation of snow, which can make it difficult to access your property.
When to Salt Your Pavement
Knowing when to salt your pavement is important, as you should always take the time to salt your pavement before a snowstorm or when the temperature is expected to drop below freezing. It is best to salt your pavement early in the morning or late at night when there is less foot traffic. This will give the salt time to melt the ice and snow and prevent it from refreezing.
How to Salt Your Pavement
Salting your pavement is a simple process, particularly if you heed the following steps:
- Clear your pavement: Before salting your pavement, you should clear any snow or ice that is already present. This will make it easier for the salt to work and reduce the amount of salt you need to use.
- Choose the right salt: There are several types of salt you can use to salt your pavement. Rock salt is the most common type and is effective at melting ice and snow. However, it can be harmful to plants and animals and can damage concrete and other surfaces. Calcium chloride and magnesium chloride are safer alternatives that are less harmful to the environment and surfaces.
- Apply the salt: Once you have chosen the right salt, you can start applying it. Sprinkle the salt evenly over your pavement, making sure to cover all areas. It is best to use a spreader to ensure an even distribution of salt.
- Use the right amount of salt: Using too much salt can be harmful to the environment and can damage your pavement. On the other hand, using too little salt will not be effective at melting the ice and snow. A good rule of thumb is to use about one pound of salt per square yard of pavement.
- Wait for the salt to work: After you have applied the salt, give it time to work. It may take some time for the ice and snow to melt, so be patient. Avoid walking or driving on the salted pavement until the ice and snow have completely melted.
Salting your pavement is an effective method of Calgary snow removal that maximizes safety for pedestrians and vehicles during the winter months. By knowing when and how to salt your pavement, you can reduce the risk of accidents and injuries, prevent the formation of ice, and make it easier to access your property. Remember to choose the right salt, use the right amount, and give it time to work. With these tips, you can keep your pavement safe and avoid the hazards of winter weather.
Economy Snow Removal is a household name in commercial snow removal in Calgary. We know that winter can wreak havoc for roads, parking lots and sidewalks around your business. We provide the solutions that ensure your property is safe for pedestrians, employees and customers while remaining visible and accessible. With over four generations of experience, skills, and modern tools and equipment, we can handle any job, big or small. We can aid any situation by offering ice removal, snow hauling, property maintenance and snow plowing in Calgary. With consecutive Consumer Choice awards, you know you’re getting value and quality with our trustworthy team. Contact the industry-leading snow removal company in Calgary today at 403-427-7669